Alcohol License


This information has been provided as a courtesy by the City of Cortez and is only a guide. This may not be all that is involved in obtaining a liquor license - other agencies are involved, and information contained herein may change from time to time. This information is not intended to be legal advice, and applicants are encouraged to contact a private attorney for answers to legal questions and concerns.

What types of rules and regulations should the licensees review?

The dispensing of alcohol beverages is a highly regulated venture and merits awareness of the laws and practices governing these beverages. Recognizing the responsibility and liability associated with serving an alcohol beverage, those responsible for selling/serving alcohol beverages should become familiar with and plan to operate in accordance with local and state laws concerning alcohol. Those rules laws can be found in Colorado Revised Statutes Title 12, Articles 46, 47, and 48.

What types of license are available?

There are several types of licenses available. Generally, the type of license to pursue will depend on what type of beverages are planned to be sold or served, as well as food service requirements for each license type.

How much does it cost to get a liquor license?

Each license type carries its own City and State fees. There are fees that apply at the time of the initial application, as well as fees for renewal on an annual basis following approval by the local and State Authorities. A list of liquor license fees is available at the City Clerk’s office.

What are the requirements to obtain a liquor license?

The requirements for obtaining a liquor license depend on what type of applicant is named on the license. In other words, requirements for an individual applicant will differ from those of a corporation, a partnership, or limited liability company. In all cases, however, the needs and desires of the affected neighborhood and the moral character of the applicant will be considered.

How long does it take to get a liquor license?

Because liquor licensing is a two-tier process, consideration at both the local and State licensing authority levels, it takes approximately three to six months to process a completed application and issue a liquor license.

Are there any other permits or license that I need to apply for?

A City of Cortez Sales Tax License is required and may be obtained with the liquor license application. The fee is $10. Applicants will also need a State Sales Tax Number which can be obtained by contacting the Colorado Department of Revenue in Grand Junction at 970-248-7174. The Planning and Building Department of the City of Cortez will also be involved in the process of approval of a liquor license due to the zoning and building requirements. They may be contacted by calling 970-565-7320.